It was awesome to have Bishop Rice from this Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau with us and to hear him give the homily at this weekend’s closing Mass. In sending us forth from the conference, he reminded us of some very important points, and these bullet points were my big takeaways:
- The Church wants to walk with you in the journey of life.
- Today’s Gospel describes your journey perfectly.
- You need to be ready when you go back home, because many people will be trying to pull you down – you have to be ready for that!
- Only in letting go of what you have can you receive what the Lord wants to give you (he was speaking about our sinful habits).
- In order to replace these vices with virtues you must have a plan.
Our plan needs to include the Eucharist, regular Confession, devotion to Mary (especially the Rosary), and walking together – walking together is the best way to keep the Devil out of our lives. We can not go though this journey alone.